Oxford Essential Dictionary (paperback) with CD
This dictionary replaces the Oxford Elementary Learners.
The prior edition of this dictionary was recommended to me by Mary Lewis. She is a tutor who gets excellent results and works individually with children and looks for indicators of non-comprehension. She found that children could use and understand this dictionary when other children's dictionaries were just too difficult. As a result, she uses this dictionary regularly and suggested I carry it. She has reviewed this edition and wants to continue to recommend it.
"This is a very basic children's dictionary. Its greatest value is it keeps the definitions short and simple. I use it in my tutoring practice when a very basic definition is needed. I also recommend it to young students as their first dictionary." Mary Lewis
Elementary and Pre-Intermediate (CEF A1-A2)
A helpful guide to the essentials students need in the first stages of learning English.
This dictionary helps you learn the most important words and how to use them.
- 19,000 words and phrases explained in clear, simple English.
- The 2,000 most important and useful words to learn at this level are clearly marked as keywords so that learners give them special attention. 13,000 example sentences throughout the dictionary help them use the words correctly.
- 500 Focus Notes on spelling, grammar and pronunciation help learners avoid mistakes and build their vocabulary.
- Over 400 illustrations throughout the dictionary and a colourful 16-page Picture Dictionary section help to explain difficult words or to show a word's different meanings.
- 16-page study section gives extra help on topics such as talking on the telephone, letter writing, and talking about dates and numbers.
Sample pages from the prior edition: A-Z
Download free photocopiable worksheets to use with your Oxford Essential Dictionary: